Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Ther, She is a dog, Wolf malimute rotweiler, .... no she ate

Customer Question

Hi ther
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: She is a dog
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Wolf malimute rotweiler
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: .... no she ate 2 very strong medical marijuana cookies
JA: The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Summer and she is 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Summer?
Customer: No she has no allergies she is active and healthy....not right now tho I think she is tripping.....
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did she eat these?

What marijuana dose was in these?

What does she weigh?

How is she just now? If you think she is tripping, what signs are you seeing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Last night between 7-9pm a half a cookie get a human very stoned I'm not sure the exact dosage they were home made gave to us she ate 2 and a half cookies she weighs 90lb she puked this morning hasn't been sick since she cannot walk I have her In a nest of teddies and blankets she is breathing and is starting to get better I think cause she was able to sit up not for very long tho she is very shaky and sleepy and when she gets to look confused and worried I talk to her and she calms down and falls asleep
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh and she did pee herself a couple hours ago we cleaned her up and nested her in dry blankets
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

Now it is a shame so much time has passed as we are past a point where we can intervene and instead this is a stage where we have to just focus on supportive care and montioring for her. That said, its positive that she has had such mild signs, since we can see not just lethargy, sedation, GI upset (ie vomiting, diarrhea), wobbliness as we have here; but in severe doses we can see neurological signs (ie seizures, hallucinations, etc). But to not see those here tells us that her size is working in our favour and the dose she has had isn't severe despite being a strong dose.

Therefore, with that in mind, we'd just want to be supportive as this often will wane and run its course in 24- 48 hours. As we do, to offset any GI upset, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any more nausea with Summer, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Otherwise we do want to encourage her to drink to help flush this out and the nest is good (since we like to have them somewhere calm, quiet, and where they cannot fall). Of course, if you do this and monitor her for the next 24 hours but you did see any of those more worrying signs (unlikely at this stage) or if her signs didn't keep waning, then we'd want her seen by her vet urgently for Iv fluids to flush this out quicker and get her back to normal. Else we can let her sleep this off and treat supportively while it runs its course.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**