Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My lab has an enlarged heart and is on lasix and a blood

Customer Question

my lab has an enlarged heart and is on lasix and a blood pressure medicine. She coughs often but recently got worse. We thought it was her heart until our other dogs started coughing this morning and she started experiencing a green mucous runny nose. we were unable to get her to the vet because she gets so upset in the car and does not need that excitement. I called the vet to see about getting an antibiotic but the girl obviously forgot to talk to the doctor. when we called back they told us we could get it Monday because they were closing. So now I am looking to see if there is any human antibiotic I can give her today.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bama, 13years old
JA: How old is Bama?
Customer: 13
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bama?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Yes, you might have a human antibiotic at home for which I could give a dose for Bama. Please let me know. (Regretfully, we're not allowed to prescribe through this venue.)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank You Dr. Salkin. The only antibiotic I have on hand is cefdinir. I decided not to risk it and have kept her on a very bland home cooked diet. She is actually eating and drinking now. Her nose is still running but she seems to have more energy and is no longer at deaths door. She is still coughing but has not been throwing up as much. I guess we will see whether she needs the antibiotic tomorrow.

You're wecome. That cephalosporin antibiotic isn't commonly administered to dogs but anecdotal dosing of 4.5 - 7 mg per pound of body weight once daily has been recommended. Please continue our conversation if you wish.