Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Hope you remember me ( rockie, alopecia x, seasonal alopecia

Customer Question

Hello doctor hope you remember me ( rockie , alopecia x , seasonal alopecia ) , now his hair grew back as before but im afraid it will fall back during the winter season my question is when to stop melatonin and biotin and when to reapply it to avoid what happened last 2 yrs
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I remember Rockie well. Melatonin is administered for 3 months once the skin condition arises and several weeks before the onset of the next occurrence. If you've been admininstering it all along, I encourage your continuing to do so. I don't see the need for biotin supplementation but it won't be harmful. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Last year winter i stopped melatonin for about 1.5 month then i reapplied it with a lower dose (6mg/day) instead of 12 and it showed some improvement since may ( summer season) im afraid this year his hair will fall again during winter

If Rockie is currently being given melatonin, I recommend your continue doing so. If not, I recommend that you begin giving it again for a minimum of three months. Melatonin isn't toxic at any dose and so you can give 12 mg daily without harm.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is taking it now but im thinking to stop it until next November as maybe it body will get used to it and will give no effect during the winter season

I don't believe that tolerance arises from chronic melatonin administration but I'm not aware of any studies confirming that idea.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?