Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog weighs 111 pounds and has diarrhea. He has sensitive…

Customer Question
My dog weighs 111...

My dog weighs 111 pounds and has diarrhea. He has sensitive stomach and certain foods upsets his stomach. My vet has said, "I could give him lomotil in the past," but I don't remember how much she said to give him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Riley and he is 7yo.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Riley?

7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Riley?

No, he just had a check up and everything was fine. He is not on any meds.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, we can use Lomotil in dogs with diarrhea. For a 111lb dog, we'd give 5.5mg dose every 12 hours.

Otherwise, I'd just note that you can also consider offering Riley a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. And fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can also be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian