Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I didn't get a response. Kakadu, 9 yr. lab got "sideswiped"

Customer Question
I didn't get a...

I didn't get a response. Kakadu, 9 yr. lab got "sideswiped" by Pooter (larger dog). Gave a short "yipe". He is still playful and wants to play, but has a slight limp. I don't think he broke or dislocated anything or he would have done more than just that short "yipe". I've moved it around and massaged it without him minding it. Going to take him to the vet Monday. Just wanting to see if you think it's something "serious, serious" or if is sounds like something minor. He's resting quietly. But sure wants to play. Sound like anything to "panic" about?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No. The larger dog knocked into him

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?

KAKADU

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this "sideswiping" accident. At my ER, this is a pretty common incident if you'd believe that. Two dogs playing and the bigger one accidentally bumping into the smaller one. At this time, that is good that Kakadu isn't having any obvious area of discomfort that you can isolate. If something was broke or dislocated, it typically is a very obvious non-weight bearing situation and they are painful. Could something have just been tweaked or bruised from this collision? That is a possibility and honestly, giving her some rest here for the next 24-48 hours and monitoring her is a very good option. If she was non-weight bearing or in obvious discomfort, then an ER visit would be good. These situations have a good chance of being a time and rest treatment.