Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Periodic coughing with occasional foamy mucus. Went to the…

Periodic coughing with occasional...

Periodic coughing with occasional white foamy mucus. Went to the vet yesterday and lungs clear, no fever , also did not cough while there. Has up to date kennel cough vaccine. Woke every two hours last night to cough about five minutes. Should I give dextromethorphan cough syrup tonight ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Missive age 9 1/2

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Missie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Missie?

No. The vet gave her a thorough exam yesterday and gave antihistamine to see if allergy. We are in Alabama having evacuated Florida for the hurricane.

9/9/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I am glad that Missie has seen her vet so that worrisome issues like pneumonia could be ruled out. Though if she is coughing that often you may need to ring them to have them dispense dog safe anti-inflammatories. Though in the meantime, you can give a cough syrup with just dextromethorphan. Typically it is Robitussin DM we do use and you can give a dose 1 milligram dextromethorphan per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course do make sure to avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here. Otherwise, in a pinch we can also use a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey as often as needed.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian