Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What can cause hives in under arm area and around groin, He…

Customer Question
What can cause hives...

What can cause hives in under arm area and around groin

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

He is a dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

He gets hives in his under arm area and around the penis area. Also itches a lot, and has been sneezing. I'm assuming it's an allergy of some sorts, but don't know for sure.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Murdoch. He turns 1 in 2 weeks.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Murdoch?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. It is common for dogs to have allergies that become worse in areas such as the penis area and armpits due to the excess moisture and warmth here which helps to allow the bacteria in these areas to over grow causing a secondary Pyoderma caused by the allergies and scratching. It is hard to tell what may be causing this but treatment is as follows:

Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
Give sweet Murdock Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.
Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.
If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results.

These treatments can be very effective if this is caused by allergies and from what you have described, this appears to be the case for sweet Murdock.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian