How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 30380
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our 2 dogs ate a little cake with xylitol. Just need to know

Customer Question

Our 2 dogs ate a little cake with xylitol. Just need to know what the best course of action is please
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Charlie and George 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?
Customer: Weight 10kg
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

Can you estimate how much cake was ingested? Hypoglycemia can arise at doses between 35-45 mg/lb of body weight and hepatotoxicty can arise at doses between 230-450 mg/lb of body weight. Regretfully, it will be impossible to know how much xylitol was present in that cake.