Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dogs got a cooked chicken leg bone 14 hrs ago. Fed them all

a full slice of bread...
Dogs got a cooked chicken leg bone 14 hrs ago. Fed them all a full slice of bread at that time. Now just waiting
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: They are just turning 2. Schnauzers, both less than 15 lbs
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Female is Gretchen, male is Fitz. Siblings. She's bigger then he is
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Im not sure Fitz got any of the bone....just trying to cover the bases
9/9/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. The eating of bones may or may not be an issue. Basically at this time the signs to be watching for as possible complications are vomiting, vomiting, vimiting, lack of appetite for over 24 hours or abdominal discomfort. If these are seen, then maybe a blockage has happened. Some loose stools may happen but they usually are transient. Dogs have been eating bones for a long time before man domesticated them and they still do after man got involved. It has a low potential for a problem in most cases.
Should i do anything out of the ordinary? I was advised to feed them each a full slice of bread. Anything else i can give them that may be of help?
Honestly, the best you can do is to feed them their regular food in just a little more than normal amount. This can help to bulk up the ingesta to help things pass through. I don't like adding new things to the mix as those could cause issues and muddy the water.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian