Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog ate a significant amount of carpet yesterday while

Customer Question

my dog ate a significant amount of carpet yesterday while everyone was out of the house
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: she threw up multiple times and now it seems she is throwing up blood she is about 5 and her name is dallas
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dallas?
Customer: she is overweight but no other issues
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.
Hi. Yes name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your girl. If Dallas is having this vomiting going on and it is known she ate carpet, then a blockage is a very high concern. I'll be honest and say that carpet is sometimes the worst thing for a blockage as it gets strung out and causes a linear foreign body. These are very critical as they can lacerate the intestines as contractions happen. This is a situation that needs immediate veterinary care as it can progress to a life threatening situation if there is a linear foreign body. There is nothing an owner can do at home if this is the case. I hate to sound so serious about this, but carpet and the signs being seen are that possibly serious.