Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

He was prescribed baytril for an ear infection. He's been

Customer Question

He was prescribed baytril for an ear infection. He's been super lethargic and refusing food. Is this a side effect of the drug and if so how long will it last?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rudy, 6 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rudy?
Customer: He had vestibular issues due to the ear infection but those seem better nks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.
Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Is the Baytril oral? How long has it been used? Is he vomiting? Is he still drinking water?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He's been on it since Tuesday. I put it in his ear. He's not vomiting and has been drinking water
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.
Typically when Baytril is applied topically to the ear, there really aren't any big systemic effects. I wouldn't expect its use to cause him not to eat. If there is an issue, it is local problems due to a ruptured ear drum and the medications getting down to the inner ear. Could the actual ear infection not be responding to the treatment and he's still uncomfortable form it? Could something else be going on? I would say a recheck is a good idea to see what needs to be changed.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?