Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He was prescribed baytril for an ear infection. He's been…

Customer Question
He was prescribed baytril...

He was prescribed baytril for an ear infection. He's been super lethargic and refusing food. Is this a side effect of the drug and if so how long will it last?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Rudy, 6 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rudy?

He had vestibular issues due to the ear infection but those seem better nks

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Is the Baytril oral? How long has it been used? Is he vomiting? Is he still drinking water?
He's been on it since Tuesday. I put it in his ear. He's not vomiting and has been drinking water
Typically when Baytril is applied topically to the ear, there really aren't any big systemic effects. I wouldn't expect its use to cause him not to eat. If there is an issue, it is local problems due to a ruptured ear drum and the medications getting down to the inner ear. Could the actual ear infection not be responding to the treatment and he's still uncomfortable form it? Could something else be going on? I would say a recheck is a good idea to see what needs to be changed.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian