Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I got a dog from my daughters friend and I didn't ask for a…

Customer Question
I got a dog...

I got a dog from my daughters friend and I didn't ask for a blood test. When I took her to my vet he took a blood test and she has heart worm.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** is 4and a half. is there anything that can be done beside having her in the hospital for shots and then in a cage for a month. I don't want her to feel abandoned as she felt when her owner didn't want her

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Lola?

She is 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lola?

No she is very well and happy

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Hi. My name is***** Thank you for giving great Lola a good home. Heart worm disease is something that is very serious, but catching it early is best as they can be cleared of it with the correct treatment. The adulticide therapy is the best as it eliminates the adult worms and then makes it so the heart isn't continually stressed by those organisms living there. I know you don't want her to feel abandoned and she won't. Being in the kennel is something that is done when you aren't there to keep her quiet so she reduces the risk of emboli during her treatment. She can still get attention and love during this time. Kenneling is vey good to do even if no heart worm treatment is being done as it is a safe, quiet, secure and comfortable area to rest.
I was hoping for something more simple. thanks anyway

The treatment for the adult worms isn't that complicated. I want to help you to understand that for the most part, the therapy is pretty straight forward. The goal is to give Lola the best long term, happy and social life as possible. Here is a great link on the treatment of the adult worms that I want you to read over to help get you more comfortable with what they want to do.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=610