Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have 2 dogs that are 13 and a half years old the boxer/pit…

Customer Question
I have 2 dogs that...
I have 2 dogs that are 13 and a half years old the boxer/pit mix was just diagnosed with a brain tumor 2 weeks ago our other dog a cairn terrier has now started peeing and has just pooped in the sick dogs bed? Any explanation for this?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
The bed is one they used to share and last night she was laying in it when she got up and looked at us as she peed in it (there was a blanket on it which we immediately re mm oved) Later that night after we went to bed she left our bedroom and went into other room and pooped in the middle of the bed
9/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning Jennifer and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are many explanations for this behavior but it is clear that your Cairn Terrier can tell that something is wrong with your older dog and is acting out. It also could be that your cairn terrier is suffering from some urinary and/or fecal incontinence caused by arthritis and age. It is best to have your vet check your cairn terrier to be sure that this is not a medical condition that can be treated. If nothing comes from this, then it may be a behavior issue related to the stress the she is feeling for your other dog. Getting another dog bed that they will not share should help with this terrible situation. I am so sorry about the diagnosis of your older dog....i know this is stressful for your family and your other dog feels this from you making her even more stressed. If there is no medical condition, try a DAP Collar which is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent. If this is not enougj, your vet can prescribe an anti anxiety medication for her to get past this stress.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****