Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have 8 yr old boxer boy who has been passing a lot of gas…

Customer Question
I have 8 yr...

I have 8 yr old boxer boy who has been passing a lot of gas and his stomach is making lots of noise. This morning he didn't eat his breakfast. He done this the night before but was fine all day yesterday and around 11pm last night he started this again

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Kayo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kayo?

No I don't think so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Kayo's condition. Hopefully, this is a minor digestive disturbance that is treated as follows:

Fast Kayo for 12-24 hrs which he is doing himself to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If this has resolved, then wean Kayo back onto regular food. If the symptoms persist especially during the fast, take your guy to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns. With a dog Kayo's age and breed, we would worry about a gastric volvulus which causes the stomach to twist and that can be life threatening for him. Watch for any bloating and give him Gas X, one every 4 hrs, available at the pharmacy over the counter. Take him to your vet right away if these treatments do not help.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian