Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 3 year old ~80 pound female high content wolf dog…

Customer Question
I have a 3 year...
I have a 3 year old ~80 pound female high content wolf dog and we're located in Miami. I need to relieve her anxiety while keeping her at least slightly mobile in case a wall or the roof collapses. Hurricane Irma will be here later tonight and I'll begin moving her inside a few hours beforehand. I have 0.5 xanax and 25mg Benadryl. She's physically healthy but has extreme anxiety. The city is also on complete lockdown.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Benadryl won't be of value but alprazolam (Xanax) is a good choice of an anxiolytic (anti-anxiety drug) when dosed in the range of 0.01 - 0.025 mg per pound of body weight which would be equivalent to 0.8 - 2 mg for your dog and which can be given as often as every 6 hours. It's best given 30-60 minutes prior to the expected trigger. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.