Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My Weimaraner is almost 10 years old. Thought to have some

Customer Question

My Weimaraner is almost 10 years old. Thought to have some arthritis. Has had some deramaxx at a low dose starting early August. Then about three weeks ago started having watery diarrhea and vomiting. Brought to vet and CBC and chemistries were done; along with a specific pancreatitis test (negative) the only thing elevated was her lipase. So they thought gastroenteritis or early pancreatitis. Gave bland diet and cerenia. Started adding back in some dry food and was eating just okay. Then she really wasn't acting hungry again. No diarrhea or vomiting this time. Back to vet for X-rays of lungs/abdomen. Radiology said all looked okay but maybe some small spots in colon to pass. Examined stools and never saw anything. Again another round of cerenia. Has also received IV fluids. Now into this week; we did Echo and Abdominal ultrasound. Only thing they're thinking is Addisons Disease and started on dexamethasone injections, cerenia, Pepcid, antibiotics, mirtazapine and carafate. Antibiotics because repeat blood work two weeks after initial blood work shows WBC only 1,500 and 0 neutrophils. This CBC was also repeated to confirm. She seemed to be on the upside of things yesterday after receiving dexamethasone on Wednesday night. Then she received a dose this morning at 0900 (every 36 hours was the initial plan until results of ACTH test done yesterday). My poor girl has had all of these meds and this afternoon and forward she's been licking and salivating like crazy. Another liter of fluids this evening and added zofran. I'm at a loss of what to do until results or what would come next. They mentioned endoscopy or barium study and bone marrow biopsy. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. Heather
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also negative for tick illnesses.
Expert:  Scott Perry replied 1 month ago.

Hi Heather. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Miley has been dealing with a chronic issue of diarrhea and vomiting. Initial blood tests indicates a suspicion of pancreatitis or stomach/small intestine inflammation. X-rays were mostly clear with possible foreign material in the colon. The most recent blood work shows a low white blood cell count two weeks after a normal white blood count was taken. Treatment with dexamethasone and Zofran are the latest medications given. An ACTH stimulation test is pending. Is that a correct summary of the situation so far? Can you please tell me if any abnormalities were observed on the abdominal ultrasound?