Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 12 year old pitbull has a bad rash on her back, hind legs…

Customer Question
My 12 year old pitbull...
My 12 year old pitbull has a bad rash on her back, hind legs and stomach I took her to the vet and he sold me pills that was supposed to kill all fleas within 4 hours and also shampoo that's medicated . I use the on spot flea treatment Next Guard Plus monthly but she said that it does not kill flea eggs I have not had this problem before she bites and scratches it and totally I have tried Benadryl and it doesn't help any other suggestions
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

If a flea saliva allergy were diagnosed, a short and tapering course of a glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisone will do wonders for your dog until any effective flea product rids her of fleas. You'll need to treat your premises as well with an over the counter area treatment spray that contains an insect growth regulator (IGR) such as Siphotrol Area Treatment Spray containing the IGR methoprene. The IGRs don't allow flea eggs and larvae to develop into adult fleas and so the life cycle of the flea is broken.

I still have not received an answer to my second question, I have prednisolone liquid and was wondering how many mgs should I give my dog compared to a 5 mg prednisone tablet the bottle says pregnant Alone 1 oral solution USP 15 mg per 5ml if that helps
What I would really like to know is how prednisolone liquid is measured to prednisone tablets

15 mg per 5 mL is equivalent to 5 mg per 1.7 mL. Please continue our conversation if you wish. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.