Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog broke his toenail yesterday. I was able to remove the…

Customer Question
My dog broke his toenail...
My dog broke his toenail yesterday. I was able to remove the separated part of the nail, but his foot is now swollen what should be the next steps?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Legacy's situation with his paw. Is the entire foot swollen or just the toe with the broken nail? Is he limping on it?

It's just the toe. Also, he likes occasionally.

Ok. If that toe that had the broken nail is now swollen and he's licking it - it most likely has become infected at the nail base. What would be best is to get him to your vet so they can get him fitted with an E-collar so he can't lick it and then they can do a short course of oral antibiotics and pain medications to help him get recovered from this. A broken nail usually doesn't get infected, but they can.