Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog broke his toenail yesterday. I was able to remove the

Customer Question

My dog broke his toenail yesterday. I was able to remove the separated part of the nail, but his foot is now swollen what should be the next steps?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Legacy's situation with his paw. Is the entire foot swollen or just the toe with the broken nail? Is he limping on it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's just the toe. Also, he likes occasionally.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Ok. If that toe that had the broken nail is now swollen and he's licking it - it most likely has become infected at the nail base. What would be best is to get him to your vet so they can get him fitted with an E-collar so he can't lick it and then they can do a short course of oral antibiotics and pain medications to help him get recovered from this. A broken nail usually doesn't get infected, but they can.