Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My sheltie gets very anxious and aggressive in the night.

Customer Question

Hi my sheltie gets very anxious and aggressive in the night. Had been going on for a couple of months now.
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Shetland sheepdog. 9.5 years old
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the sheepdog?
Customer: She gets very anxious and starts winking to go upstairs to bed. And she gets aggressive Whining
JA: Where does the sheepdog seem to hurt?
Customer: She's not hurt. She has some arthritis but that doesn't bother her much. Dr. Marie mentioned vision issues and I was wondering if that may be the case?
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the sheepdog's name?
Customer: Stella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stella?
Customer: She was a puppy mill dog we think - got her from a pet tire when she was 4 months old. Also she pants a lot in the night
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 1 month ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Can you tell me what type of aggressive behavior you are seeing?

What behavior makes you think she might have vision issues?

Does she ever ask to go out and then want back in before eliminating or vice versa?

Does she seem to recognize everyone?

Do you find her in out of the way places around the home?