Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My sheltie gets very anxious and aggressive in the night.

Customer Question
Hi my sheltie gets...

Hi my sheltie gets very anxious and aggressive in the night. Had been going on for a couple of months now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Shetland sheepdog. 9.5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the sheepdog?

She gets very anxious and starts winking to go upstairs to bed. And she gets aggressive Whining

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the sheepdog seem to hurt?

She's not hurt. She has some arthritis but that doesn't bother her much. Dr. Marie mentioned vision issues and I was wondering if that may be the case?

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the sheepdog's name?

Stella

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stella?

She was a puppy mill dog we think - got her from a pet tire when she was 4 months old. Also she pants a lot in the night

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 8 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Can you tell me what type of aggressive behavior you are seeing?

What behavior makes you think she might have vision issues?

Does she ever ask to go out and then want back in before eliminating or vice versa?

Does she seem to recognize everyone?

Do you find her in out of the way places around the home?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian