Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Just started limping, protecting back left leg. Not like her

Customer Question

Just started limping, protecting back left leg. Not like her at all. We're trying to get her comfortable for the night. Have Metacam 1.5 prescribed 10/16 exp 11/16. Trying to do research to see if it's safe for tonight.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Nothing on foot. Even tried to work joints.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Maddie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maddie?
Customer: We're even wondering if she got stung by something ... Live in SN Antonio.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you.

In regards ***** ***** question, if anything the out of date Metacam would potentially be less potent but otherwise it can be used in a situation like this. That said, if you suspect a sting, then an antihistamine would be more beneficial. Most often we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) or Cetirizine (ie. 0.5 mg per pound of their body weight every 12-24 hours). We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness. Of course, check with your vet first if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. But that way we can counter the allergic reaction for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**