Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My German Shepherd is experiencing pain in his rear left

Customer Question

My German Shepherd is experiencing pain in his rear left hip, and I would like to give him something for pain. Is it helpful to give him Ibuprofin until I can see a vet on Monday?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the German shepherd's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is seven years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about James?
Customer: He is absolutely terrified of going to the Veterinarian since being attacked by another dog when he was a puppy, and we have to have a vet come to the house. He is a dog who has fear and stress issues when confronted with some strangers, and we are doing the best we can, but we need advice!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Answer me right this minute or I will report you for fraud. What a nasty group of greedy people you must be to profit off the anxiety and desperation of people who are stupid enough to try your service. You are a shame to the community you purport to be serving--but, Hey! It's the age of Trump; everything's monetized! Why am I surprised? I'm trying very hard not to wish that everyone of you who owns an animal who is suffering is met with the same shit!
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Please understand that I am very glad to try and help you, but this is a live service which means I type out each answer individually, so please give me a little time ...

Sorry to hear James is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. I am very glad you have asked this question rather than just going ahead and dosing your dog, you see common over the counter human pain killers such as Ibuprofen and Tylenol { Acetaminophen } are not used often in dogs these days as there are much better alternatives for controlling fever and pain in the dog and there have been many incidents reported of side effects and toxicity with many of these drugs including Ibuprofen. So really best not give Ibuprofen to your dog.

2. However on a short term home remedy basis you do have one option, this being aspirin. This drug is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds. Many people use plain aspirin in the dog without problem because it will normally only be used for a few days as in your case so any side effects would be very unlikely. But avoid enteric-coated aspirin as the the coating can decrease the absorption of aspirin from the intestines in dogs.

3. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if James's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Just checking back in to make sure you have all the information you need ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how James is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning over the counter pain relief meds ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?