Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 10 year old mini dachshund came back from our vet today

Customer Question
after a urine test and...
my 10 year old mini dachshund came back from our vet today after a urine test and is struggling to walk. Back leg is trembling, she rolls on the floor trying to undo whatever is going on and she is panting some and whining in certain positions. She lays down 10 mins and is up again. She has NOT jumped off of any furniture. What can I do to ease her pain till I can get her to her regular vet tomorrow morning?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dachshund. What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: Abby and I said nothing about lethargy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dachshund?
Customer: she take xanax daily for anxieties...and her vet started her on an antibiotic today for her bladder infection
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

I am so sorry to hear about Abby. Did she happen to have any blood work completed at the same time to see if her organ (kidney, liver, etc) values were normal.

There are a couple of things that might be going on. Urinary tract infections can be quite painful so maybe she is experiencing some discomfort related to that. It is often difficult for the pet to get comfortable if there is a significant infection. From your description though, it sounds more like joint pain. Do you know how they collected the urine sample? Was it a free catch or a cystocentesis? Does she have a history of arthritis?

It is difficult for me to make any recommendations about pain medications without seeing her or knowing if her blood work is normal as many medications can be unsafe if there is underlying liver or kidney disease. Also, medications like ibuprofen etc are VERY unsafe to give to dogs. NEVER give this medication to your pet!!! I also DO NOT recommend aspirin in a pet this age, again without knowing exactly what is going on.

Couple suggestions....although I can not make a recommendation about pain medication without exam etc, you could try to give her some benadryl tonight which might help her to rest a little as benadryl can often make a pet sleepy. How much does she weigh?

I would also just confine her to a small space where she is unable to move around much. It is important to keep her confined, safe and resting until you can get her in tomorrow.

If it is really bad, you always have the option to take her to an emergency clinic.

I hope that helps, but please let me know if you have further questions. I wish I could help more by telling you to give her a specific medication, but it would just not be safe for her.

Lots of rest, time and get her in as soon as possible in the morning.

I am here to help if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

I hope that everything went ok last night with Abby. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

If I answered all of your questions and you are satisfied with the information, a 5 star rating is always appreciated as it is how we as experts are recognized and compensated.

Have a great weekend.

Dr. N

I just wanted to check in with you since the case is still open. I hope Abby is doing better.

Please let me know if I have answered all of your questions and complete the rating is possible. Thanks so much!

Dr. Nicole

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian