Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has ear mites but he will not allow me to clean his

Customer Question

My dog has ear mites but he will not allow me to clean his ears. He is a 90lb English bulldog. My other 3 dogs all enjoy their ear cleaning. I rescued this beautiful boy 3 months ago and have no history on him other that his shots are up to date and he is neutered. I was to he was 19 months old when I rescued him, which makes him 22 months now. I do not have $100+ to have him treated for ear mites. My veterinarian had showed me how to clean my dogs ears several years ago. I was hoping that maybe Benadryl might help calm my big boy so I can clean his ears. He keeps digging at one ear and I can see he has mites but he won't stay still long enough for me to clean his ears.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tank, and thank you for helping us.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Not that I know of. His ear is kinda crusty and he let me get a swipe with a medicated wipe while he was distracted with a treat, and then he was off and running again.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Amber Hinson replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Hinson and I would like to try and help you.

How do you know Tank has ear mites? Is he scratching the ears? Do they have any discharge? Odor?

Is he otherwise acting normally?

When you say he won't let you clean them, is he getting aggressive or is he just too hard to hold?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Dr. Hinson, I am Tracey, Tanks mom.
Yes Tank is scratching at the one ear that has little dark specks on the inside and his ear is a bit warm. He is definetly hard to hold, and he is snapping at me when I try to look at it. I can pet and rub his ear, but as soon as he smells the wipes he goes crazy. He does the same thing when putting the flea drops on his neck. I suspect he may have been mistreated by his previous owner.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just forget the whole thing, we went to a pet clinic and they sprayed his ears and said it was ear mites and he will be fine in a day or two. They said we can bring him back if he is still digging at his ear for no extra charge. They only charged us $25. Thanks anyway for your time. Sign me as one unsatisfied customer for your so called service.

I am sorry you are unsatisfied. I answered you within about 3 hours of your posting and you didn't respond until 14 hours later. I am in the Southern Hemisphere right now (South Africa) and I cannot be online 24/7. I suggest you contact customer service. I do not have anything to do with refunds.