Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 1.5 year old dog is having extreme itchiness. Not alot of…

Customer Question
My 1.5 year old...

My 1.5 year old dog is having extreme itchiness. Not alot of her scratching herself. But she wants me to scratch her. Specifically onher back and at the base of the tail. I gave her a chamomile and oatmeal bath and the itchiness subsided minimally. I don't see fleas on her. She always wants to be rubbed on the belly and everywhere since she was a pup but it has become obsessive recently. She had a tick about 9 months ago and we did not follow up with antibiotics since she showed no symptoms. I don't know what else to do. She is also licking her paws. She was born in a rescue and we think she is a chihuahua pomeranian mix. About 17 pounds. What do you think?.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Eevee.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Eevee?

She is an otherwise a happy healthy dog!

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this...sounds like your dog has environmental allergy to me......which is very common in this breed of dog....the bath you gave was a good thing....but we need to do more.....you can give her 25 mg of benedryl twice daily......and we need to go to your vet.I want you to ask your vet for a trial of apoquel......

I want you to give your dog the apoquel for one solid month and if this stops then itching then you have an allergic dog in which case you will always need to control fleas very well, give a hypoallergenic bath once weekly then also consider getting your dog on a hypoallergenic food too.....

I hope this helps you but if you have additional questions please let me know as I check my computer nightly. Sincerely, DRB

If you do not have any other questions please rate me as this is how I make money to support my family. Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

What is the dosage for the apoquel

just a sec...

your dog is in an odd range but I would probably dose your dog at 5.4 mg once daily....

any other questions for me tonight?

Would you recommend a good hypoallergenic bath wash and hypoallergenic food I should try? Do you mean that environmental allergy is an allergy to fleas? I have never seen a flea on her.

environmental allergy is an allergy to molds, mites, dust, dander, grass, weeds, trees, etc...

I like virbac shampoo...let me find one for you...just a sec..

Natural balance venison and sweet potato...

any other questions?

If you have any other questions feel free to leave here and I will get back to you tomorrow. Sincerely, DRB

Not at this time. Thank you!

sure thing...

If you have no other questions:

Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).

If you do not have any other questions please rate me as this is how I make money to support my family.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr B