Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Bichon is always likeing his legs so much so one of his

Customer Question
legs is bald he went...
My Bichon is always likeing his legs so much so one of his legs is bald he went to the Vets but she found nothing wrong so I know she isn't right??
JA: OK. What is the Bichon's name and age?
Customer: bucky 2rs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Bichon?
Customer: She should know him she has his records but she put Rimadyl no blod test etc.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and you are right...something is wrong.....when dogs lick like this it is a direct sign of allergies......what we do not know is whether this is food related allergy or environmental allergy......it could be either or both with a bichon...but I would recommend first to have your vet prescribe some apoquel or find a new vet since they did not even talk with you about allergies at all??

Anyway after a month of apoquel the licking should stop and this will prove that you have some type of allergy you are dealing with...and you can try doing your own food trial with natural balance sweet potato and venison......for 16 weeks and no other treats or food being fed....and only Iverhart Max for heratworm prevention and some type of topical flea control so as not to interfere with food trial....

I hope this helps you but let me know If I can offer any further help. Sincerely, DRB

If you do not have any other questions please rate me as this is how I make money to support my family. Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian