Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

She was just vomiting quite a bit and we thought she was

Customer Question

Hi! She was just vomiting quite a bit and we thought she was choking so we checked but there diesn't seem to be anything lodged in her throat. However, she's hiccuping and licking her lips still and it's consistant
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I know of, just her kibble.
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she's a 2 year old west highland terrier
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Winnie?
Customer: She doesn't have any health problems or anything, no.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

so hiccuping and lip licking is a direct sign of nausea.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

this means that something is disagreeing with her digestive tract.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

has she had any new food, or people food or has she gotten into anything you can think of?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hello. Not that I know of but she did eat some dirt today when she was outside playing
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She may have eaten some grass as well
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is licking quite excessively but other than that she is acting normally
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

did you look in her mouth in the roof of her mouth carefully and also along her teeth and under her tongue?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What am I looking for specifically?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just looked and nothing seems abnormal
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

a foreign body of some type, string, stick, piece of food,anything that could be lodged somewhere.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

did you find anything?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I didn't find anything abnormal
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

ok, so what we know is that something has made her nauseous....has she vomited anymore?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
not in the past 15 minutes, she did vomit quite excessively earlier. Most of her dinner.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In the past little bit it has just been hiccups, licking, and swallowing w a smacking sound with her mouth
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

how is her activity level?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is just laying with me right now, but this is usually her down time
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

well it is hard to say whether this is serious or not because we don't know what caused this.....

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should I take her into a vet? or wait until the morning?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I guess our biggest fear is that she's choking on something but we really don't think taht there's anything lodged in her throat. It makes sens that she could just be nauseous, but this is the first time she's ever acted like this.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

If she vomits again or any other clinical signs develop you should definitely go to the ER.....if not you can make the decision to wait......but I cannot recommend that you wait...does that make sense?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

if she were choking you would know.....

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that makes total sense. Thank yo uso much for your time. I really appreciate the advice.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

sure thing, can I answer any other questions for you tonight?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

If you do not have any other questions please rate me as this is how I make money to support my family. Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That is everything, please have a wonderful evening.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

You too! and feel free to come back and ask follow up questions this weekend for no extra charge if you need to....DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

If you do not have any other questions please rate me as this is how I make money to support my family. Thank you very much! DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr B