Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Taking Rimadyl for arthritis. Seeing if alternative for my…

Customer Question
Taking Rimadyl for arthritis...

Taking Rimadyl for arthritis. Seeing if alternative for my dog. Only taking 12.5 mg a day. Half morning half night

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

Arthritis and bone spurs. Chihuahua/terrior

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

Back and rear end

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name and age?

Chevy 6 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Chevy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chevy?

That is all our vet said.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am sorry to hear your dog is having this issue and no one has assisted you both today

There are so many options available to us now to help our beloved four-legged friends outside of the normal nonsteroidals (rimadyl, previcox, metacam, deramaxx). I will list them individually but all can be used in combination to assist your dog in getting comfortable

1.) Gabapentin- this is called neurontin in people. It works by dulling the nerve firing associated with pain and is my top choice for senior pets because it is not metabolized as readily by the liver and is easier on a senior pet. The pros are that it is not pricey, has no high end dose so if the pain escalates as your pet gets older we simply adjust the dose, and is easier on older pets. The cons is that it has to be given consistently because withdrawing it suddenly causes what is called rebound of pain which is higher then original level, can cause mild sedation initially. With a dog this small we have to have it compounded but it is available in this formula and I use it regularly on my small dogs and cats for pain management over rimadyl

2.) Tramadol- this is in the opioid class so it is given as needed for pain when there are bad days. It can be given longterm to senior pets two to three times daily if needed

3.) Alternative medicine: laser or light therapy, acupuncture, physical therapy, massage therapy. All are fantastic ways to help minimize pain, increase strength, and allow rest more comfortably. If there is a physical therapy facility in your area they would have all of these. Typically I will start with acupuncture and/ or laser therapy and then add in the physical therapy once we are more comfortable to build strength. I often see remarkable results with one to two sessions

4.) Adequan injections. These are pricey but given twice weekly subcutaneously (I have owners give the medication at home after a demonstration to minimize the visits) for four weeks then taper frequency as improvement is seen and if there are bad periods then increase frequency once again

5.) Supplements: Glucosamine sulfate 750 mg daily, fish oil with 750 mg EPA & DHA daily, Vitamin E, Ester C are all great to slow progression of disease and assist in comfort

I truly hope this helps give you a starting point to get Chevy comfortable and your vet is open to these options for Chevy. I have two Chi's and understand the challenges of getting them comfortable

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses yesterday and hope they were helpful for Chevy

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian