Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

All of a sudden her lower part of the is swollen, Lulu and

Customer Question

All of a sudden her lower part of the is swollen
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lulu and she's 9
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lulu?
Customer: Not really just that she has atheists
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Lulu. Part of your questions appears to be cut off; what is swollen? I only see: her lower part of the is swollen

Is she eating? If you lift her lip, are her gums pink in color?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's the lower part of her eye...I can send a picture...and yes they are. She's eating and drinking normal it doesn't seem to be bothering her
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It won't allow me to send a picture
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I do see your picture, thanks.

The most common reason for there to be swelling at that area is an infected tooth. The roots of the largest upper back tooth reaches right up under the eye.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is a closer picture
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

If I could, I would check her teeth. Antibiotics may help for awhile but most of the time the tooth needs to be extracted or have a root canal.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Closer picture
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thanks. That is a classic appearance for a tooth root abscess.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, do I bring her to her normal vet to take care of this or do I have to go to a specialist
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

You regular vet should be able to help you. This is a pretty common thing to see.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if my answer is helpful and what other questions I can answer, and how she is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Can I answer anything else?

Kindly consider rating my answer, so the website knows I am assisting you with Lulu.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I took her to the vet last night and she was put on a antibiotic. She's on her 3rd dose of antibiotics but I still haven't seen an improvement. I'm just wondering how long should I give the antibiotics to start working
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

If it is an infected tooth, antibiotics won't help, or will only help for a little while. The infected tooth needs to be extracted, or have a root canal. The infection can't clear up as long as the infected tooth is there. This condition is painful so I would also consider getting pain medication.

An Xray of the tooth will tell for sure if this is a tooth infection. If it is, it needs to come out or be treated. Usually we just pull the tooth rather than the more expensive root canal.

Please let me know if my answer is helpful, and how she is doing.