Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 12 yr old German Shepherd. She has a lipoma on her

Customer Question

I have a 12 yr old German Shepherd. She has a lipoma on her left side. Its about size of a cantaloupe, on her side. We had it aspirated and its a benign fatty tumor. Her front leg, near that tumor is now swelling up. About double in size. She's walking on it but we're worried about the swelling.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the German shepherd?
Customer: Just worried about the swelling
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is this swelling down the entire leg or just the upper leg?

Does the swelling feel the same as the lipoma?

If you press into the swelling, does it retain an indentation of your finger at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Down the entire leg. Lipoma feels like squishy jello but the leg feels puffy - soft not squishy. No indentation when we press on it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just texting is fine - do not call
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the information. My concern is that there is a blockage of blood flow or lymphatic vessels (connect lymph nodes) from the limb to body. Typically a lipoma wouldn't cause that, but it is possible if it puts enough pressure on it. My concern is if there is another tumor that is affecting blood flow. You can also see that with a heart condition (usually the swelling retains an indentation of the finger for a split second). If the swelling/limb is painful, then I would be concerned about an infection in the limb. I would definitely get this checked out by your vet ASAP. I am concerned that it will continue to swell if not attended to promptly. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your Shepherd is doing and to see if you have any other questions.