Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 4 lbs chi got into a bag of uncooked rice and ate about 1

Customer Question

My 4 lbs chi got into a bag of uncooked rice and ate about 1 lb.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Missy she is an 8 year old chi that I adopted 7 months ago. We are getting ready for hurricane Irma and didn't notice she got into the rice.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Missy?
Customer: No, she is a teacup chi. Thank you!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear Missy ate this much uncooked rice. How long ago did she get it? If this happened just not, I might try to get her to vomit. Once the rice starts to absorb fluid in her stomach and intestines, it will blow up inside her causing "food bloat" which may require her to be under medical care.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How can I make her vomit? This happen less then 30 mins ago.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

It may already be too late, but you can try giving her 1/2 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide in some milk or ice cream; do not give it directly. It has to be in date and fresh or it won't work.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

If you can get her to vomit it, that would be great. A veterinary clinic would have apomorphine, an injection to make her vomit.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I have not heard back from you. How is she doing? Did you get her to vomit?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

How is she doing?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?