Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

MY 6 YEAR OLD YORKIE HAS BEEN LIMPING AND NOT BEARING ALOT…

Customer Question
MY 6 YEAR OLD...

MY 6 YEAR OLD YORKIE HAS BEEN LIMPING AND NOT BEARING ALOT OF WEIGHT ON HIS R FRONT PAW FOR 4 DAYS

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

THANK YOU YES, BUT I DON'T SEE ANYTHING

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

PRINCE

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about PRINCE?

NO, HE'S BEEN EATING WELL AND STILL ATTEMPTS TO JUMP UP ON THE COUCH BUT I'M WORRIED BECAUSE THE LIMPING IS PROLONGING ITSELF

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Have you tried wiggling all his nails and toes and pressing up and down his leg to see if you can find the sore spot? Flex and extend all his joints and shoulder too.

Make sure to check between his paw pads for redness or infection as well.

If you do all of that and can not localize the source of pain then you most likely would need an experienced vet to figure out where the pain is coming from.

Most likely it is a tendon or ligament injury or it could be some arthritis pain. An x-ray may be needed to look at his joints. That is the only way you would know if it is arthritis for sure.

If he is not on any medications and he does not have any underlying health issues then he could take some human low dose 81 mg aspirin.

5 mg of aspirin per each pound of dog every 12 hours.

For example a 10 pound dog would take 50 mg of aspirin every 12 hours.

Make sure to give it with food to help prevent gastrointestinal upset.

Do not give it more than 3 days in a row as it could affect the lining of the gastrointestinal tract.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you are all set please rate my answer by clicking on the stars so justanswer.com knows I responded to your question.

Many Thanks.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian