Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 92 lb Golden Retriever just licked up some cayenne pepper…

My 92 lb Golden...

My 92 lb Golden Retriever just licked up some cayenne pepper I am using to keep squirrels away from my plants. I gave him a bowl of milk and he has hiccups but seems otherwise ok. He could not have gotten very much.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the Golden Retriever will be able to digest that. What is the Golden Retriever's name and age?

Ozzy, almost 6.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ozzy?

No, I think that's it.

9/8/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. Chances are he will be just fine. There are no toxicity concerns here. The cayenne pepper may cause a lot of mouth irritation, but the milk can help soothe that. Now, it is possible for him to get some diarrhea from the milk because dogs in general are lactose intolerant, but that should be mild and self limiting. If he is drooling a lot, has a lot of oral inflammation, is vomiting, stops eating, has abdominal discomfort, has diarrhea for more than 48 hours, has explosive diarrhea or has bloody stool; I would have your vet check him out for sure. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Ok, that's great, we'll keep an eye on him. Who would have thought??

You are very welcome. Please let me know if you have any other concerns.