Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

What is the reccomended treatment for enlarged heart, sparky

Customer Question

what is the reccomended treatment for enlarged heart
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: sparky 50 lb mixed hound years old male neuterd rescuedog
JA: How old is Sparky?
Customer: 11yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sparky?
Customer: he coughs a lot as though he will spit up but nothing comes out
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. It really depends on what is causing the enlarged heart. Is it a problem with a heart valve? If so, what valve is it? Is it heart worms? Is it dilated cardiomyopathy? In general, when we are treating for an enlarged heart in dogs, we will typically used something like enalapril to help the heart pump against less pressure. Some vet will use pimobendan instead, or in addition to the enalapril. It will also decrease the pressure the heart is pumping against, but it will also help to increase the strength of the contraction of the heart. You just cannot use it if there is a particular valve that is not opening enough and causing an obstruction to blood flow. If there are arrhythmias, then other medications may need to be added to that, but those are the two medications that are used most commonly. If there is congestive heart failure, than a diuretic needs to be added. That is probably more information than you were looking for, but if there are any other questions or concerns, please let me know. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Sparky is doing and to see if you have any other questions.