Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog was given clavamox cerenia and rovera for a uti on

Customer Question

Hi my dog was given clavamox cerenia and rovera for a uti on Tuesday she seemed better until last night she's bloated now drooling lack of appetite drinking lots of water hardly peeing and threw up once last night not since then could this be from the medications
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No not that I know of
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she's ten
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Matty?
Customer: She has had five surgeries for swallowing hard palm tree shells that got stuck in her intestines The last surgery was a year ago and she wears a muzzle except when she is in the house
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Yes, I would first incriminate the drugs. Both Clavamox and Rovera can upset the gastrointestinal tract and the combination of the two are more likely to do that than either drug alone. I recommend that you stop administration of both drugs for 24 hours. (You should always stop the administration of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen (Rovera) whenever gastrointestinal distress arises.) Matty should normalize within 36 hours if this is drug related. If so, continuing with the more important Clavamox makes sense but carprofen isn't essential and should be avoided at this time. If you didn't see her normalize within that time frame, we have to consider that more is going than an adverse drug reaction and her vet would need to be consulted. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?