Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our 90-pound pit came to bed last night panting and

Customer Question

Our 90-pound pit bull came to bed last night panting and shivering. I gave her extra water and and aspirin thinking she had hurt herself while running in the back yard. She woke today acting OK. We let her in the back yard and she stayed an excessive amount of time. When she came back in she was panting again and went back to bed. We went to the side of the house and found a half-dead rat that she had apparently been licking or biting. Offered he extra water and now she's back to bed. What could it be?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kiana...6 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kiana?
Customer: Active happy dog. Spayed and shots up to date...on preventative heart worm med.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Perry replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Kiana is showing signs of panting and shivering. You found a dead rat that she may have been licking. Can you please tell me if you have observed any vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite? How about a painful or tense abdomen?