Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He all of sudden looses the ability to use his hind legs,

Customer Question
He all of sudden...

He all of sudden looses the ability to use his hind legs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is about 2-3 years old. He is a rescue dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mutly?

He is a farm dog. has a dog mate that is currently under a vet care for an open wound. He was bit by something a couple of weeks ago. I had bandaged his would when all of a sudden his legs gave out. I removed the wrap and a while later he walked fine. has been fine until yesterday and all of a sudden his legs gave out again. after some rest he was able to get up and was totally normal

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Which breed (or mix) is Mutly, please. Such intermittent paresis (weakness)/paralysis is consistent with intermittent compression of his spinal cord as might be seen with cervical spondylomyelopathy ("wobblers"/unstable vertebra in the neck) or a bulging intervertebral disk.

He is a black lab mix

Thank you. The large breed dogs are overrepresented with wobblers while any breed can suffer from a "slipped disk". This is going to be a challenge for his vet because of the episodic nature. X-rays would be the most appropriate first step in diagnosing this and MRI might be necessary. Have you noticed any stiffness or postural change in between or after events?

no - he really just snaps out of it and runs and plays as if nothing happened.
Could it be a calcium deficiency?

Thank you. No, such a deficiency wouldn't result in such episodic symptoms. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Tick or animal bite reaction?

Once again, tick paralysis doesn't come and go and animal bites might cause subcutaneous abscesses but not his legs giving out.