Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog was recently boarded for 4 days came back and last…

Hi thereOur dog was recently...
Hi thereOur dog was recently boarded for 4 days came back and last night started coughing up clear mucus every 20 minutes or so. The dog has good energy but not earring much. We have moved down south from NY and with possibly high allergy in air.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2017
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Lily.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

While there are a number of different reasons why a dog this age might cough, the most common explanation is going to be Kennel Cough especially since she was boarded for four days. This condition is secondary to either a viral or bacterial infection and can be contagious between dogs.

If it's a bacterial infection, then these dogs respond to oral antibiotics pretty quickly. But if this is a virus , then it will have to run it's course....which is usually between 10-14 days. Kennel cough tends to worsen before improvement is seen and gradually improves rather than abruptly stopping unless this is a bacterial infection and antibiotics are started.

Some of these patients may be running a mild fever (normal is between 100 and 102.5) which might account for any lethargy or decreased appetite that's seen.

There are other conditions such as pneumonia or Canine influenza which mimics kennel cough in the early stages but these dogs rapidly become sick.

Some kennels require Bordatella (kennel cough) vaccines prior to boarding which can reduce the incidence of this condition but being vaccinated doesn't 100% protect the dog receiving it. This vaccine helps protect against the most common cause of Tracheobronchitis but won't be effective against viral causes.

As to over the counter treatment options, cough suppressants can be given although I'm often hesitant to use them if kennel cough is the problem. I want those secretions removed from the upper airways that she's bringing up and I rarely want to inhibit this reflex.

But acceptable ones to use include Dextromethorphan. The dose would be 0.25 to 1 mgs per pound of body weight 2-3 times a day. You just want to double check labels and ensure that the formulations only contain this ingredient although inclusion of Guaifensin is fine.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/dextromethorphan-robitussin-dm

I'd also advise that you feed dry dog food (if this is what you feed) soaked in water for 15-20 minutes which turns the food into mush and is less likely to cause more irritation to the throat when it's swallowed.

If Lily becomes lethargic and/or stops eating altogether, then a vet visit may be wise.

I hope this helps, Deb

The is very helpfulThank You

You're more than welcome.

Best of luck with her, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Hi Carl,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lily. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb