Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is there a way to get a dog a shot to abort a pregnancy if…

Customer Question
Hi is...

Hi is there a way to get a dog a shot to abort a pregnancy if she is indeed that way.. we have 2 yorkies that are bro and sis and she has appoint on 19th of sept... we have been so so careful.. and a few min ago male got attached for few min. and i was able to get them apart... i am so upset,, please help

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Did you get my prior message

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Its not hurt... is there a way to possibly abort if my female got pregnant.. my male was attached to her and i was ablwe to get them apart asap... she has a appoint set for sept 19th... and my yorkies got caught for a min or so... they are bro and sis.. i want to know if there is something we can do asap in case she took...i am so very upset

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Ok.... this is something we were trying to prevent... and they werent connected long...but i know it doesnt take long....i was able to get them apart....

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Regretfully, no. Long ago estradiol was injected into these girls and it worked well to abort them but it also resulted in too many cases of purulent endometriosis (pyometra) and so it's now considered malpractice to do this. Pregnancy termination can be performed by means of premature lysis of the corpus luteum - the structure that a pre-existing follicle becomes and which secretes progesterone. This is accomplished by dosing with prostaglandin F 2 alpha every 8-12 hours subcutaneously for 3-9 days. (Ugh!) The drug we use in dogs is dinoprost or cloprostenol. Prostaglandin F 2 alpha may also be combined with a prolactin inhibitor such as bromocriptine or cabergoline. Usually 3-4 days of therapy is needed when the two drugs are used concomitantly. Dexamethasone at a decreasing dose for 5-10 days may also be effective. Aglepristone need only be given in two doses 24 hours apart. As of this writing, however, aglepristone isn't available in the United States. The drugs I've mentioned above may not be available in all veterinary hospitals so check with your vet before making the trip.

Is the appointment for having her spayed on September 19? If so, spaying her is the most expedient manner to solve this current dilemma. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.