Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She's a bloodhound and we went tracking yesterday... I had

Customer Question
She's a bloodhound and we...
She's a bloodhound and we went tracking yesterday... I had to correct her path while in the harness...
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: And she seems to be sore and stove up today... She is yelping intermittently.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sissy May, 14 months
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sissy May My name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Nope
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 2 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

Because she was in work mode and you had to redirect her path, also given her age, she may have a soft tissue injury. But with this breed of course they are prone to intervertebral disc disease , where the soft cushioning in the disc turns hard and presses on the nerve. This would be detected by a myelogram.

What I would do for now, is keep her cage rested, going out for potty reasons only, and give her some aspirin for pain (providing she is not on any other medication). IF this is a disc problem or a soft tissue, then aspirin will help with inflammation. Give with food.

I am going to direct you to a link on dosing this per the dog's body weight. Hopefully she will be feeling better in a couple of days.

Be sure to use plain aspirin and nothing that contains tylenol type product or Ibuprofen type products as those are toxic to the dog.

aspirin http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant