Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My mini schnauzer is almost 16 and has experienced some

Customer Question
My mini schnauzer is...

My mini schnauzer is almost 16 and has experienced some weakness in her back legs. This morning, she is shaking and after going outside and relieving herself, she sits down. Could she have had a stroke?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Chloe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chloe?

She is in good shape, other than having lost several teeth. She was at the vet in May for a check up. I did give her her heartworm medication last night but she gets this monthly. I also put on Advantix Flea and tick, again, I do this every month.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago

It is unlikely she has had a stroke, but she may be experiencing some pain or stiffness in her back legs. Does she have any history of arthritis?

I had her on Phycox but didn't really see any improvement. She is usually stiff when she wakes up and she will sit very several minutes, just staring off into space. Last night, she saw some deer in the backyard
and was immediately alert - her tail wagging.
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago

Have you tried any other medication for her legs?

I have not - the Phycox is what the vet had recommended.
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago

How long was she taking the phycox for?

for a couple of years - she started with 1/2 of the chewable every day for 30 days and then 1/2 every other day
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago

How long has she been off the Phycox for now?

probably around 2 months