Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

I noticed some time ago maybe two months that my yorkie had

Customer Question

Hello, I noticed some time ago maybe two months that my yorkie had this tiny little pimple by his armpit. I couldn't tell if it was his nipple at first so I didn't think anything of it. Now it's growing a tiny bit in size. Nothing major but now I'm a little bit concerned. it looks like a tiny white head. I don't see him scratching at it and when I touch it, he doesn't have pain but he sure does get annoyed if I try to touch it. what could it be?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Richard Rawling replied 1 month ago.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Are you able to send a picture of the lump? Do you ever see any discharge associated with it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Richard, thank you for your quick response. There is no discharge and if I squeeze a little there is also nothing. Its just a pump that appeared. He's a healthy/active dog. No known allergies or complications to anything. I will take a photo now and upload it.

Excellent, thankyou

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll try to get a better photo but he isn't letting me
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is another one

Does he have any other lumps that you have noticed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No other lumps. This is the only of its kind. Like I said it's mostly skin colored. A little red when you see it up close. it looks like a wart somebody might get on their finger.

Ok great. It could be in the region of his first nipple, however if this was the case, I would expect him to have the same thing on the other side.

This lump could be a number of things:

It may be a residual swelling as a result of an insect bite or sting. Small areas of scarring can occur in response to trauma such as a sting and these lumps can be of no concern.

Young dogs can get a skin growth called a histiocytoma which is a benign growth that should spontaneously regress without treatment.

The other possibility is that the lump could potentially be a mast cell tumor. These are the great pretender and can have an appearance like many other masses. The only way to know for sure would be with a needle biopsy to assess the lump.

If the lump is changing in size, is bothering him, ulcerating or persisting, I would generally advise having it checked out by your vet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello, I was able to get a clear photo.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is another

Apologies for the delay in replying, I have been offline for a few days.

I agree, it does not appear to be a nipple. I think the most likely situation is a lump as a result of an insect bites such as a tick. However if it is not resolving a needle biopsy would be useful to diagnose further.

Hi Grace,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Louie. How is everything going?

Richard Rawling