Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Almost 15-year-old Lab is having difficulty getting up

Customer Question
because his back legs are...
Almost 15-year-old Lab is having difficulty getting up because his back legs are weak and wobbly. Once he is up, he walks fine.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rudy.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rudy?
Customer: He's otherwise very healthy, alert, good appetite
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is Rudy on any medication at this time?

No meds right now.
no, thanks.

It's very common for Labs to have arthritis set in as they age and Rudy is quite the elderly boy. He'd be roughly 105 years in age if he were a human.

If he is not already on a joint supplement, I would recommend starting one. My favorite are http://www.glycoflex.com products. At home, you can administer aspirin if no other medications are being given. Dosing info is available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ I would also recommend talking to your vet about using canine-safe NSAID therapy as well as pain medication therapy, such as rimadyl combined with tramadol, to offer the most relief from discomfort and help with the weak and wobbly state you witness at home. This should help make the transition between laying down and standing a much more smooth.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Rudy?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse