Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 8 month old Chihuahua I.G. mix. Monday he went to…

Customer Question
I have a 8 month...
I have a 8 month old Chihuahua I.G. mix. Monday he went to the vet to get his rabbis and first set of shots. Today he is throwing up blood or pooping blood...he's attitude isn't any different....but the amount of blood I'm really concerned..what should I do? I have picture of what he did.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.
I apologise for the delay in responding to your question, it seems there were no experts available when you posted your question. If you still need advice I am here to help.

I need advice, should I take to Dr or wait it out..what is possibly wrong
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

Have you seen blood in his vomit?

That's what I thought was in the picture I sent
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

Is the picture vomit or poop?

I thought it was poop but my dog is tiny so I don't know
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

It does look like poop, rather than vomit but it can be difficult to tell. How is his appetite?

He drinks and eats but not as much...he did poop this morning it was hard
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

Is he straining to poop?

he does...today he looks better and his poop is solid
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

Apologies for the delay in replying, I have been offline for a few days. How is he doing just now?

He seems to be the same but he's poop is solid but squishy dark out side green inside
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

So no further signs of blood? Is he still straining?

He does strain and I believe the dark stool is blood
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

Is he still eating?

When I see him eat...he acts like he starving
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

Sounds like he has a good appetite then!

I suspect the signs you are seeing are due to colitis. This is simply inflammation of the large bowel. The straining, blood in stool and mucus on his stools are all classic signs of colitis. It sounds like he is showing some signs of improvement so that is good. I would advise feeding a light diet for the next few days - plain boiled chicken and rice, a little scrambled egg, plain white fish or light cottage cheese.
This can help take the strain off an irritated digestive system and help things settle down.

Thank you so much for sticking with me and Poppy!!
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

You are very welcome. How is he doing?

Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling