Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

She is throwing up a watery liquid no food she didnt eat

Customer Question

she is throwing up a brown watery liquid no food she didnt eat dinner. no diaherrea just throwing up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that i know of
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Velvet 4 yr bitch sheltie
JA: How old is Velvet?
Customer: 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Velvet?
Customer: not that i can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- How often is she vomiting?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Is she lethargic?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
often ... no other conditions... 34pounds.... she is acting like she doesnt feel good
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are pancreatitis, gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes.

In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination with your vet in the morning, x-rays and blood work as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In any case of vomiting, the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter