Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I just got a micro teacup pomeranian (4mos old) yesterday.

Customer Question

I just got a micro teacup pomeranian (4mos old) yesterday. Today he started this coughing/dry hacking noises....he's been doing it all day today throughout the day and I am so nervous. I love him to pieces already....he still has his appetite and is playful, but he stops randomly to cough (almost like a wheezing sound) and tries to gag but nothing comes up....
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Benji. 4 months old. Teacup breed pomeranian.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Benji?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you!

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Benji has this problem, hopefully this is something very minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Where these sort of symptoms are sudden onset I would not be at all surprised if your dog is not suffering from an infectious respiratory disease such as kennel cough. However where a dog is retching like that other diagnosis are certainly possible but from your description it does sound a bit like kennel cough. Kennel cough is a common contagious respiratory disease of canines. This disease is usually associated with recently having been in kennels or having been where dogs congregate, { Like the vet's surgery for example! } but dogs living on their own can sometimes catch it as well as it is an airborne disease.

As kennel cough would be a " front runner " I will tell you what I know about it ...

2. Most owners whose dog has kennel cough think there might be something stuck in the throat due to the strange cough / retch that these dogs have - a bit like a cat trying to shift a hairball.

3. The affected dog will cough and retch for a few minutes and with some dogs it may be productive, he will bring up some white sputum, sometimes owners take this for vomit. Once he has done this he will settle down for a bit. This however is a repeated cough / retch which just keep happening.

4. If kennel cough is the diagnosis then it is normally not a serious disease but will run its course given one to two weeks without treatment, however antibiotics will speed up recovery and make him feel better very quickly. For this reason if symptoms continue my advice would be to have your vet check your dog over at the next opportunity and of course this is a wise move as other diagnosis are always possible. In the meantime something like Robitussin-DM { Dextromethorphan } which you can buy over the counter may help with the symptoms, please follow this link for an accurate article on how this drug is used in dogs including dose rates. : LINK

5. If kennel cough turns out to be the diagnosis then there is unfortunately little you can do to make your dog more comfortable on a home remedy basis. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Benjie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This happened suddenly. I got him yesterday morning and he was fine all day yesterday. Today he starting the dry coughing spells, which seem to happen every 10 minutes or so now...it wakes him up out of his sleep too...I feel so bad and don't know what to do for him tonight. I made an appointment with a vet for tomorrow afternoon.

The fact it happened suddenly like this does sound typical of kennel cough. It could be he caught it before you got him, this disease has a 7 to ten day incubation period. Hopefully this is what is going on because although it will be a bit uncomfortable for Benjie right now it is rarely a serious disease.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you suggest that I still take him to the vet tomorrow? The breeder that I got him from just emailed me and said that I should not bathe him until his cough goes away and that I should buy a humidifier to keep near him. What are your thoughts on that?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As we speak, he is in his playpen trying to sleep but the hacking cough wakes him up every 10 minutes or so...I feel so bad

Not sure of the not bathing or the humidifier, best plan is just to take him to your vet tomorrow as you plan to do, the chances are your vet will having feeling much better very quickly, as I said kennel cough is rarely a very serious disease.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Benji is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his suspect kennel cough ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott