Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog has been trying to get over a partially torn CCL for…

Customer Question
Our dog has been...

Our dog has been trying to get over a partially torn CCL for about 2 months now. She has been on 0 exercise with up and down the stairs once a day. She's been to the vet twice and the xray showed no bone break so the vet gave us some anti-inflammatory pills to help her heal. The problem is that she is a two year old German Shepard, Pit, and Lab mix with an insane amount of energy. Especially since we cannot exercise her. She'll have spurts of energy where she'll run around the house jumping on furniture which causes her to limp again. We want her desperately to heal but she keeps re-injuring herself. Our vet wont prescribe any medication to calm her. We've tried mental stim but it's not enough for this crazy hyper dog. What can we give her to calm her down?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

There isn't. She's been to the vet and he says its a partially torn CCL

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Callie

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 11 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. Your question just showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

How many stairs does she have to go up each day?

What medication is she on at this time?

When you say 0 exercise are you just talking about walks?

What have you tried so far?

Hi again,

I noticed that you have not responded to my request for more information. Perhaps you deleted it in error or it went to your junk folder and you missed it. Here is the information request again.

What medication is she on at this time?

What have you tried so far?