Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My nine year old min-pin has recently started acting afraid…

Customer Question
My nine year old min-pin...
My nine year old min-pin has recently started acting afraid of me at times. Ears down, tail tucked and won't come when first called. She just had two surgeries within a week of each other. The first was to get her fixed and remove a mass from under her nipple. The second was a week later to remove all her left side nipples and glands. The mast came back benign and the vet believes her cancer free. Great news!! While healing up a couple of times her inner leg on the surgery side was accidentally touched a she nipped at me. I'm sure she was in pain and didn't take it personally, I just felt for her going through all this. If I take her for a ride, feed her or give her a treat, she acts fine. If I call over to me just to pet and lay with her, she's started acting afraid/submissive about it. She's always laid right next to me and came to me, except after this. How do I get her trust back. I love her and this makes me feel bad even though I was just trying to do what was best for her. Thanks.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 8 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. Your question just showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

How long log has it been since her second surgery?

Has she had any obedience training?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian