Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What can I do for fire ant bites..13 yr old Feist is very…

Customer Question
What can I do for...
What can I do for fire ant bites..13 yr old Feist is very lethargic..eating ok but not walking.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 9 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you.

The first thing we need to do is clean the areas with some Betadine and warm water. Once that is done we have two choices to treat the bites. One is some Benedryl cream and the other is some Hydrocortisone cream. Both will take the sting out of the bites. You may have to put an E collar on to prevent Tippie from licking the feet adn all the medication. Lastly we can give 1 mg of Plain Benedryl per pound of body weight every 8 hours for an allergic reaction.

The bite from the sire ant isn't really a bite but an acid secred by the ant to cause a painful burn.

Tomorrow you can try soaking the feet in some epsonsalts and water to help redue the pain and reapply one of the creams I mentioned. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tippie. How is everything going?
Customer

Just chacking in to see how your Feist is doing since the ant attack. Did the Benedry help?

joan