Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We think she may have swallowed something she should not…

Customer Question
Hi. we think she...

Hi. we think she may have swallowed something she should not have. We just noticed a broken window that she may hae broken while jumping up to bark at the UPS truck. She's been hacking all day and spitting up foamy yuck. My husband just found a sliver of wood in it but she is still hacking.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Carter. 2 years. yellow lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Carter?

Otherwise besides the hacking and small throw up spots of the fo***** *****, she seems to be acting ok she ate her dinner and has been drinking

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
but I've already stated that. So if she has eaten something she should not have, are there recommendations for what to do
9/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Carter has this problem, hopefully this is something very minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Where these sort of symptoms are sudden onset I would not be at all surprised if your dog is not suffering from an infectious respiratory disease such as kennel cough. However where a dog is retching like that other diagnosis are certainly possible but from your description it does sound a bit like kennel cough. Kennel cough is a common contagious respiratory disease of canines. This disease is usually associated with recently having been in kennels or having been where dogs congregate, { Like the vet's surgery for example! } but dogs living on their own can sometimes catch it as well as it is an airborne disease.

As kennel cough would be a " front runner " I will tell you what I know about it ...

2. Most owners whose dog has kennel cough think there might be something stuck in the throat due to the strange cough / retch that these dogs have - a bit like a cat trying to shift a hairball.

3. The dog will cough and retch for a few minutes and in the end it will be productive, she will bring up some white sputum, sometimes owners take this for vomit. Once she has done this she will settle down for a bit. This however is a repeated cough / retch which just keep happening.

4. If kennel cough is the diagnosis then it is normally not a serious disease but will run its course given one to two weeks without treatment, however antibiotics will speed up recovery and make her feel better very quickly. For this reason if symptoms continue my advice would be to have your vet check your dog over at the next opportunity and of course this is a wise move as other diagnosis are always possible. In the meantime something like Robitussin-DM { Dextromethorphan } which you can buy over the counter may help with the symptoms, please follow this link for an accurate article on how this drug is used in dogs including dose rates. : LINK

5. If kennel cough turns out to be the diagnosis then there is unfortunately little you can do to make your dog more comfortable on a home remedy basis. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Carter's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian