Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

One of my dogs got a hold of my moms lantus insulin pen and…

Customer Question
One of my dogs...

One of my dogs got a hold of my moms lantus insulin pen and chewed it up and the liquid that was in it is gone now i am not sure if it just leaked out and dried on my bed hours ago or if she ingested it they are both acting like they normally do when I get home

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Ginger and she is just over 2 and is about 55 pounds the other one is 5 and a half and is 85 pounds her name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ginger?

I think it was Ginger because she likes to chew on things but not eat what she chews

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thankfully, the insulin isn't active when ingested and so your dogs aren't at risk of hypoglycemia and dogs of their size should have no problem passing pieces of the pen through their gastrointestinal tract should they have ingested any. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

what do you mean it isn't active when ingested

The insulin in the pen is only active when injected. It doesn't work if taken orally. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

wow really. I thought insulin was insulin no matter what way it was delivered

No, insulin taken orally is digested which inactivates it. There are oral hypoglycemics that people can take but even those are inactive in dogs. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you. I am not sure why my vets office didn't know this as well.

You're quite welcome. I suspect that your vet knew that but perhaps his lay staff whom you spoke with didn't?

have a good night

Thank you. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?